As some of you read in an earlier post, I am on a type of adrenal-detox in an effort to reclaim my health. One week in and I honestly feel, for the first time in ages, like I have some energy returning. It’s great! Unless you have gotten to a point of adrenal exhaustion, it’s hard to explain how tired one can really get!
Dr. James Wilson wrote an amazing book on Adrenal Fatigue. For the curious, it explains some of the symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue:
- You feel tired for no reason.
- You have trouble getting up in the morning, even when you go to bed at a reasonable hour.
- You are feeling rundown or overwhelmed.
- You have difficulty bouncing back from stress or illness.
- You crave salty and sweet snacks.
- You feel more awake, alert and energetic after 6PM than you do all day (Source: http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/what-is-adrenal-fatigue)
These are the tip of the iceberg. I got to the point where I found it difficult to walk around the block. I couldn’t think straight. I had to have multiple naps during the day to get through it. I found I had a fuzzy head a lot of the time – trouble for a writer – and I didn’t have the energy to engage in the social stuff I used to love. When it came to actually cooking a meal or cleaning my house, I was completely overwhelmed.
I’ve been working with another doctor (who is soon to release an unbelievably exciting book that traces the origins of many illnesses, including adrenal fatigue) and he put me on a diet to reduce inflammation in my body and give my adrenals time to recover. I’ve been taking Magnesium and Withania – both to help bolster the adrenals while inflammation is reduced (There’s a whole lot of stuff I’m doing, but I won’t bore you.)
It’s amazing! Just over one week in and I feel great! I’ve dropped 4.5 kilograms (10 pounds) which is a nice side effect. Slowly but surely I can feel my spark returning.
But it has come with some drawbacks. Namely, I can’t be trusted in the kitchen!
– I’ve chopped chilli and then rubbed my eyes
– Chopped chilli and then scratched the inside of my nose
– Nearly lost my fingertips several times
– Forgotten about small cuts on my fingers (That I inflicted while chopping things) and then chopped garlic and onions
– Gotten the cayenne and the paprika utterly confused.
I think the sanctions start today. I’m not allowed to chop my own herbs. Oh well.
Here’s to health and wellbeing!
P.S. For those of you who are interested, my debut novel – Supernatural fiction for Christian Young Adults – is available worldwide. So excited! Details, including eBook availability here – http://www.claremcivor.com/purchase – See what everyone is raving about!